Parent education as a field is broad in scope. As a component of family literacy programs, parent education emphasizes strengthening the parents’ role as teacher of their young children especially in the area of children’s language and literacy development.
The “Guide to Improving Parenting Education in Even Start Family Literacy Programs” details the following areas parent educators in Even Start programs should emphasize:
- Engage in language-rich parent-child interactions;
- Provide support for literacy in the family
- Hold appropriate expectations of the child's learning and development;
- Actively embrace the parenting role;
- Form and maintain connections to community and other resources for meeting individual and family needs
Parent education provides opportunities for parents to recognize their strengths and resources, learn about their children’s development, develop parenting skills, and bond with other parents for support.